Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Bird neighbors

Sometimes I stand at Slanty’s front door, to watch for traffic on the road or get reception on my phone. And some of these times, I happen upon a little bird party going on outside. They come in packs, ten or so tiny little birds hopping around just past my door. They must not be able to see me, because they don’t seem at all alarmed.

They’re little things, maybe two or three inches long, and mostly brown. Their heads are striped yellow and black, and they look both spirited and dignified for it.

At first I usually see just one or two, and then I notice they’re all over the place. One’s hopping the branches of the Western red-cedar. Another is poking at the bottom of a swordfern. A few are darting around the oxalis, which is their same height. All in all, they’re pretty cute, and they remind me how much I like being able to look out my front door and see wild little things.


No, I didn’t get to that toilet today. And that’s just fine with me.

No comments: