Saturday, December 1, 2007

Work

My, my, what a worky day. It feels good to be at the end of it, having accomplished some stuff. It feels even better now that I’ve had a shower and I’m getting warm. Today I worked with the wilderness therapy kids, and we tackled the ugly area in front of the nature house (pictured above, in delightful snow!). One team dug post-holes, while another gathered rocks to line the paths, and the other cut down and skinned trees to make a fence. It’s always interesting to work with them, because a few will work really hard and be consistently cheerful, while others drag along, and you have to remind yourself that they’re just high-school kids who got in some sort of trouble—nothing more, nothing less. I guess the thing to remember is they’re not volunteers.

A cold rain, alternating with snow and hail, fell most of the day, but it was beautiful. Fog rolled behind my house and over the meadow, and although it was chilly, it was a perfect day to be outside. We all got caked in mud from carrying rocks, and that mud just got muddier with the rain. I acted sort of as the forewoman of the project, which meant I didn’t do as much hard work as I would normally have, but the project went better, and I was able to help people more. By the end of the afternoon, we had four post-holes dug, several rails, a few posts, and the entire pathway lined with rocks. It already looks a whole lot nicer. It was nice to see something at camp change because of some good solid work.

And now I’m home, lonely no more, eating hazelnuts, excited for the weekend. Woot!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do such good work! What with the cold, the bratty teenagers, and you know, BEARS, you deserve an award of some kind. --Jen