Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Winter job begins soon

Starting a blog seems horribly awkward. It’s like that first sentence of anything you write, when you spit something out, cringe at how dumb it sounds, delete, and re-type something that sounds even stupider, only to decide not to write it in the end because you couldn’t come up with a decent beginning. But no, new blog! This fate is not for you. I’m going to get over the stupid beginning and keep going.

I want to blog this winter because last winter I lived in the woods, and when I came into contact with the real world, people would ask, “So what’s it like to live out there?” and I would be stumped for something interesting to say. Uh… It’s beautiful? It’s cold? It’s unspeakably frightening, yet wonderfully rewarding? One time there was a spider in the sink, and I tried to drown it, but it swam instead? Ho hum. So this winter, while I’m out in the woods, I’m going to write it all down, from the most dull to the least dull, and hope writing helps me explain.

Before I make this sound like some kind of Walden experiment, I should hasten to say that I’m not planning to live alone in the woods for a year or anything. I will be living and working in the woods for most of the winter, but I will also be coming into town for some weekends. This will allow me to buy food, see friends and family, and post blogs.

Now I’m going to shut up, pretend I don’t feel horribly awkward, and post this stupid entry already.

No comments: