Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1250 pieces of wood

Cold, clear (high 20s)

Campfires are nice. In fact, they’re pretty much the key to camp. Can you imagine going to camp and not having a campfire? That would be preposterous. And outdoor cooking (based on a campfire) is nice, too. I had a fire in my fireplace last night. There’s nothing like a campfire to bring out singing, lower inhibitions, and create an all-around good time.

Unfortunately, to have a good campfire, you’ve got to have some wood. And that’s why today, I am not such a fan of campfires. Somebody’s got to move that tree from the woods where it fell, and then chainsaw it up into rounds, and then split it, and then move all the pieces, and then stack all the pieces, and that is a lot of work, just to go up in flames. If I were just making enough wood for my own use, I might not be disgruntled about it, but shoot, hauling 1250 (or so) pieces of wood today was hard work, and no one will ever even consider where it came from. Where’d the wood come from? The woodshed. Duh.

No comments: