Monday, January 14, 2008

Burn Pile, Part III

Cool, rainy (40-ish)

Okay, so I know no one’s really into reading about the weather, but holy moly, did it rain this afternoon. I was out tending the burn pile, heaving bits of branch into the fire, when a few drops came down. I thought I’d tough it out, but then it started to dump, and I ran for the truck. For the next two hours I monitored the pile from the truck, which was boring but much more pleasant.

I was daydreaming, and maybe even nodding off a little, when I heard a tiny thump behind the truck. I spun around, but the back of the cab was fogged over. I looked at the side mirror, and it was entirely taken up by--what else--a deer’s face. It was comical, really; this deer was looking at the mirror and cocking its head, and its ears were more than half the size of its head again. It was pretty cute. It seemed to think the truck was kind of weird, and it walked all the way around it, but didn’t see me at all. I was within a foot of this deer, and it had no idea. It had made it almost all the way around the truck when its offspring joined the scene. The yearling took a few puzzled glances at the burn pile, and then tagged along with mom for awhile. They dawdled their way across the parking lot, stopping to chew on stuff. When they were about twenty feet away, they started licking each other’s faces. It was awfully cute. I’ve seen deer before, obviously, but I usually don’t see them relaxing, and it was really nice to see them just playing around in the driving rain.

Dude, that fire is probably out by now. This morning, when I went to start it, there were still embers from last week, but shoot, did it rain this evening. Yep. That's the weather.

No comments: