Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Thirty-seven broken

Cool, rained all day (40-ish)

Sometimes I wonder about the aesthetic standards to which I hold camp. When I’m walking around, I notice a lot of stuff I would change if I had the skill. The roof of our most renowned structure, Toby's, is leaking, a lot, in a steady stream onto the floor. The bathroom in Kiwanis Lodge grows a dark, thick layer of mold every winter. The logs outside the office area, placed there to prevent people from parking on the grass, have fallen in and look terrible. But these are my aesthetic concerns. Some people probably wouldn’t notice them. But I think we can all, regardless of our aesthetic preferences, agree that broken windows are bad things to have around camp. So today, after chatting with Carlo about the window situation, I set out around camp to inventory.

A few hours later, I counted them up: We have thirty-seven broken windows. This, in a camp that has mostly open-air buildings. It’s pretty crazy. My guess is that we’ll repair maybe… ten.

During all this walking between buildings today, I observed that it rained all day. Usually there’s that little lull in the rain, where the clouds gather their thoughts, take a deep breath, and get ready to go again, but today did not have lulls. It poured. It poured onto the buildings, a little bit into the buildings, made puddles all over the road, made mud slide everywhere, and put me in a crabby mood. I ate a lot of cookies tonight to make up for it.

Tomorrow I’ll be using kid help to dam a stream and demolish a bridge. I'm excited.

No comments: