Thursday, January 17, 2008

At home in Slanty

Cold, overcast (low 30s)

Slanty is finally back to its normal self, after a month of construction. It’s a relief. I don’t bump into sawhorses on the way to the bathroom, and when I clean out the shower, it won’t accumulate a pile of wood shavings the next day. I’m pretty excited.

This is my first day off the burn pile in a week, and I have to admit, I kind of want to do it right and finish it up. There’s still a pile of stuff there, and it’s eating at me, just a little. It’s all sorted and ready to go up in flames, but I can’t do anything about it. This is what it’s like to work out here. There are so many projects. It’s such a big place. You can only do what you can do in a day, and then you have to call it done, regardless of whether you feel like it’s done. Carlo has a healthy philosophy about the number of hours in a day and stuff, and I think it’s going to take me awhile to actually embrace that. I might nod when he talks about it, but I haven’t really internalized it yet.

All of that aside, it was nice to have a ho-hum day around camp. A day of little news.

No comments: