Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Snow!

Cold, snowy (low 30s)

Snow! There’s snow in the meadow, snow on Toby’s, snow by the river, and even snow in the dumpster—and it hasn’t yet melted. This must be some sort of Oregon miracle, when a forest at 300 feet of elevation gets snow and it sticks. There’s even a snowman by the Stink Shack.

I spent the day in the warehouse, moving wood, looking out envyingly at the snow. It was incredibly boring. There’s a big rack of wood that hasn’t been sorted in, oh, a long time, and today Carlo and I started to take the pile down to sort it, and possibly get rid of some of it. But the task is enormous. Somehow, although lots of pieces of wood look the same when you take them down, they’re all vastly different when you try to sort them. It was fun for the first little while, when I was establishing piles of different kinds of wood, but then, as I started to run out of room, and the room started to fill with stacks of wood, my mood went downhill, where it remains. The task just isn’t all that fun.

And I’m a little lonely again. I finished my application to graduate school, and turned it in, and maybe that’s provoked a little bit of boredom, which out here quickly turns into loneliness. There’s also a certain trapped feeling you get out here when the weather turns nasty. Most nights I could leave, and I choose not to. But tonight I can’t leave, and that makes me feel trapped. Hmph. I also miss Marc, and he’s busy with friends. I tried to call some of my friends, but my phone reception lends itself to awkward shouting and frequent call droppings, so that’s not really all that fun.

On the plus side, there were coyote tracks from the warehouse to near my house, and that’s exciting.

I’m going to do some yoga, in the hopes that it’ll straighten out my wood-moving back, and put me in a more civil mood.

No comments: